Updated: Jan 11
While change can be disorienting and downright scary, it is also a great opportunity. It can be used to rid yourself of conditioned ways of perceiving and responding, open to new possibilities, and have a most excellent adventure. Here are some tips to make the most of change and chaos.
1. Change does not have to be chaotic. It is all in how you choose to perceive it. Consider the experience of being on a plane as it takes off. What looks monumental in your everyday life looks like small details while viewed from in the air. From the larger perspective, you can comprehend how every detail fits together to make the bigger picture. What is your bigger picture? Knowing it and keeping it in mind can help you put things in perspective, and even help you see change as an opportunity.
2. Let go of needing things to be a certain way. Instead of holding onto the past and feelings of loss, fear, anger, etc, find joy in the way things are. This does not mean you cannot also try to make things better, but it does make it possible to find joy moment to moment, regardless of what is happening in your life and in the world.
3. Notice your coping mechanisms. When things get tough do you turn to unhealthy habits such as overindulging in food, drugs or alcohol? How about turning to tv, overworking, gaming, gambling, obsession with sex, excessive shopping or exercising? Big changes have a tendency to bring unhealthy behaviors to the forefront. Use this awareness to address whatever fears or other emotions you would otherwise suppress or avoid with unhealthy coping mechanisms (by the way all coping mechanisms are unhealthy).
4. Somatic, visceral approaches to releasing stuck energies are very efficient and effective ways to address fear, anger, hurt, limiting beliefs and whatever challenges life brings your way. Need help with this? Click here to join my mailing list and receive the mp3 gift "Emotional Ease."
5. Experience the objects and people in your surroundings in new ways. Examine the details of a blade of grass, notice how the way the light streams into your kitchen or bedroom window, feel how good it feels to inhale slowly, float on the sound of your husband’s or wife’s voice. Open your mind and your heart in this way and new solutions to old problems will often present themselves.
6. Release ways of being in the world that drag you down, drain your energy and your spirit. Do you play the victim, the martyr, the person who helps others in order to feel valued? Do you always have to be the leader, the best, the one with the answers? Do you say yes when you really want to say no (or vice versa)? What image do you try to convey to others, what masks do you show the world? Releasing these will free you, give you more energy and new options.
7. Be open to new techniques and approaches. As humanity moves from the paradigm of duality/separation to that of unity/oneness many beloved spiritual/metaphysical techniques and teachings will no longer be effective, and new paradigm approaches will become mainstream.
8. Let go of the need to constantly analyze why things happen the way they do, and why you make the choices you make. In the new energies, it is not always necessary to understand these things, and an overemphasis on analysis will keep you from moving forward.
9. How does your body feel right now? Notice the sensations in your hands, in the bottom of your feet, in your spine, in your solar plexus. Is your jaw clenched? In which parts of your body are you most relaxed? If you are like most people you probably spend more time thinking than you do being aware of your body. If you are in your mind thinking, it is impossible to be truly aware of what is going on with your health, relationships, finances and everything else. Paying attention to body sensations is an easy check and balance against excessive mental activity. If you feel resistance to noticing body sensations, try the activity in #4.
10. When all else fails, there are two things that work well (at least for me): a sense of humor and a nap. Provided you do not use them as a way to suppress emotions or avoid dealing with life, a nap and a good laugh (or two) might be exactly what you need to get perspective and recharge your batteries.
Healers: 3 Days of Energy Clearing via Transmissions and Self Guided Process. Get it here.
How much are you worth? Expand here.